New RFSoC Development Kit to Accelerate the Development of Wireless SolutionsRFecho
Avnet has announced the availability of the an RFSoC Development Kit using the Zynq UltraScale+ from Xilinx, enabling system architects to explore the entire signal chain from antenna to digital using a single solution. Using MATLAB and Simulink from MathWorks, and RF components from Qorvo, the kit enables users to quickly deploy systems for 5G wireless communication, including for aerospace and defense uses, by harnessing the integration of Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoCs for direct-RF sampling.
Designers can now accelerate the path to production by characterizing data converters before SoC software is developed and perform over-the-air testing in MATLAB with live RF signals. The platform was designed in collaboration with MathWorks to work with their Free MATLAB Trial Package for Wireless Communications.
Specifically, the kit extends the functionality of the Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC ZCU111 Evaluation Kit by adding a Qorvo 2×2 Small Cell RF Front-end 1.8 GHz Card for over-the-air transmission, plus a native connection to MATLAB and Simulink with Avnet’s RFSoC Explorer application.
The Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC solves system-level challenges by integrating more of the RF signal chain, providing lower power, a smaller footprint, and better performance than discrete solutions. Avnet’s kit continues that strategy by solving system-level challenges for prototype and deployment. The addition of an LTE front-end card to the Xilinx ZCU111 allows designers to test Avnet’s RF-class analog in real-world scenarios. By providing a direct connection to MATLAB and Simulink, Avnet has made it even easier for engineers to develop applications for Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoCs right out of the box.
Working together with Avnet, Qorvo developed a 2×2 Small Cell RF Front-end Card allowing for fast prototyping of software-defined radio for small cell applications. With the ability to shift the analog signal processing into the digital domain, the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC is an ideal match for Qorvo’s RF portfolio for wireless communications. Advanced features allow fast prototyping of software-defined radio for small cell applications.
Avnet will showcase the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC Development Kit during the Xilinx Developer Forum on Oct. 1-2, 2019, in San Jose, Calif. as a Diamond-level sponsor of the event.
Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC ZCU111 Evaluation Kit
- Rapid prototyping platform using the XCZU28DR-2EFFVG1517 device
- Supports 8x 4.096GSPS 12-bit ADCs, 8x 6.554GSPS 14-bit DACs, and 8 soft-decision forward error correction (SD-FECs)
- 4GB DDR4 memory for large sample buffer storage
- On-board reference PLL (LMK04208) and RF PLLs (LMX2594) generate RF-ADC and RF-DAC sample clocks
Qorvo 2×2 Small Cell RF Front-end 1.8 GHz Card
- Two channels, each with Tx, Rx, and DPD (Digital Pre Distortion) Observation path
- Features the new Qorvo QPA9903 0.5 Watt High-Efficiency Linearizable Power Amplifier
- Default tuning to LTE 1800 MHz FDD System
- Fast Rx Digital Step Attenuator and receiver protection circuit
Avnet RFSoC Explorer for MATLAB and Simulink
- Signal Capture & Analysis with MATLAB and Simulink
- Radio-in-the-loop co-simulation over Gigabit Ethernet
The Avnet RFSoC Development Kit is available as of today for $9495. For more details about the kit, click here.
Click here to learn more about the Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC ZCU111 Evaluation Kit.